Monday, January 31, 2011

Plage des mamelles



Today we went to find another hidden beach. After a long night of dancing I was ready for some R&R on the beach. The move beach-wise started out poorly as I hopped on a bus that made every stop possible, making what usually isn’t a long trip an hour-long production. I’d never been to this part of Dakar so I was pleased that I guessed right on the bus stop and started to walk towards the water. The beach itself is not very large and it’s tucked away by a little mountain, accessible only by a garbage ridden dirt trail. I missed the trail and ended up walking to the water with a Baifal (a branch of one of the local Muslim brotherhoods, identifiable by their dreadlocks and patched clothing). I was pleased that he actually seemed pleased by my company and didn’t try to get me to buy anything. He showed me his house, which was a cool looking shack on the rocks and pointed out the beach for me.

The beach is pretty small and was, surprisingly, not very crowded. We were accompanied by only a couple other foreigners (American, Spanish, and French), a couple fishermen, and some local kids playing soccer, wrestling, participating in the typical “Dakarois” beach workout. It is a great find and I’m sure I haven’t seen the last of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment